These are some of the most common questions I get asked about Desktop-as-a-Service — and here are my answers.
- Q. What end-user devices can we use to access our virtual desktops?
A. Quest’s DaaS lets you use just about all of them: Any Wintel or Mac computer or laptop, iPhones, iPads, Android phones, and Android tablets. It even works on a Kindle Fire.
- Q. Will our desktops be secure in the Cloud?
A. Yes. Quest’s advanced security architecture serves as the foundation of our DaaS/VDI (virtual desktop infrastructure) platform— and it ensures that every customer’s desktop environment is isolated from all others and secure.
- Q. Can our virtual desktops get to shared IT resources, such as shared file storage, application servers, and printers?
A. Yes. A secure connection can be provided to get back to your corporate network. Your virtual desktop users will think they’re sitting in the home office, no matter where in the world they actually are.
- Q. Can we try a virtual desktop for free?
A. Yes. Quest offers a no-charge DaaS Proof-of-Concept conducted at your business with your employees.
- Q. What will our experience be like? Will we get good performance with virtual desktops?
A. Generally, there’s little noticeable difference between our DaaS virtual experience and a native desktop experience. Our DaaS environment runs on very high- end servers with incredible amounts of memory and disk storage — much faster than any consumer device. The only thing the end-user device does is display the screen and send keyboard and mouse commands.
Next time: Cost-free ways to test the value of DaaS (and other options) at your business …